유네스코 세계지질공원 실사단은 지질공원 훼손 지역을 모니터링 하라
지질공원 피해지역 주민과 이해당사자와 면담을 가져라
현재 유네스코 세계지질공원 실사단이 제주에서 지질공원에 대한 실사를 펼치고 있다. 그러나 지질공원보호와 관리의 입장에서 지질공원이 훼손되고 이에 따라 문제를 꾸준히 제기하고 있는 지역주민들과 이해당사자에 대한 면담이 이루어지지 않고 있다. 제주도가 보여주는 지질공원 현장만을 보고 재인증에 관한 평가를 한다는 것은 공정한 평가라고 할 수 없다.
그래서 월정리 비상대책위원회(제주 난개발저항 지역연대)는 실사단에게 직접 진정서(영문)를 9월 13일 만장굴 실사 지역에서 전달하였고 실사단으로부터 보겠다는 말을 들었다.
비대위와 제주 난개발저항 지역연대가 요구하는 것은 지질공원 훼손 지역 모니터링과 피해 지역주민, 이해당사자들과의 면담을 통해 피해에 관한 내용을 파악해야 한다는 것이다.
지금까지 제주도지사들은 대외적으로는 제주 유네스코 세계생물권보전지역, 세계자연유산, 세계지질공원 3관왕에 대해서 자랑하고 보존에 앞장서며 지역주민들이 참여하는 보존 관리시스템을 천명해 왔지만, 세계 으뜸인 용천동굴 세계유산구역에 분뇨시설을 유네스코에 보고해야 하는 데도 전혀 보고도 하지 않으면서 증설을 계속 강행해 왔다.
더구나 오영훈 도지사는 주민들에게 세계유산 보존에 앞장서겠으며 주민들의 입장에서 분뇨처리시설인 제주 동부하수처리장을 해결하겠다고 공언했는데도 불구하고 당선되자마자 증설을 반대하는 주민들을 상대로 공사방해가처분 신청을 했다.
오영훈 도정, 이제는 유네스코 협약을 준수해야 한다. 동부하수처리장 쪽은 세계자연유산 완충구역을 좁게 하면서 반대편 마을 쪽은 두 배 가까이해놓고 동부하수처리장 부지가 일부 완충구역에 들어가 유네스코에 보고하지 않아도 된다는 주장은 이젠 거둬들여야 한다.
유네스코에 보고도 하지 않으면서 분뇨시설 처리용량을 몇 배씩 증설하여 유네스코 지질공원이며 세계유산지구는 심각한 위험에 처한 상태다.
이렇게 공공사업으로 제주지질공원과 생물권보전지역, 세계자연유산 지구가 훼손되고 오염되어도 지금까지 유네스코에 보고하여 모니터링받아야 하는데 단 한 번도 받은 바 없고 유네스코 지질공원 실사단으로부터도 조사를 받은 바 없다.
그러므로 유네스코 제주지질공원 실사단은 제주도와 환경부, 유네스코 한국위원회의 보고만을 중시하지 말고 지질공원의 훼손 상태에 대해서 문제를 제기하고 있는 지역주민들과 이해당사자들의 의견을 들어야 한다.
제주도가 시행하고 있는 난개발, 공공사업이 얼마나 자연환경을 훼손하고 주민들의 의견을 무시하고 주민들의 삶을 파괴하는 행위인가를 실사단은 분명 인지하여야 한다.
(아래 내용은 실사단에 전하는 영문 기고문임)
ETITION to UNESCO Global Geopark Investigators (Working Group)
The damage to the UNESCO Geopark on Jeju Island is serious. Comply with international conventions
In 2010, the entire island of Jeju was designated as a UNESCO Global Geopark. This is a decision made by UNESCO on the evaluation of Jeju Island's geological characteristics and values, management plans, and geological tourism. At that time, the Ministry of Environment issued a press release to establish a management plan for the operation in the future, to utilize it as an ecological and cultural tourism resource through Jeju's world-recognized excellent landscape approach, and to contribute to the establishment of a sustainable green economy. The Ministry of Environment committed it’s clear implementation with step by step preparations.
The head of Jeju Province World Natural Heritage, Byeon, Deok Seung said, "We have thoroughly prepared for the on-site investigation of Jeju Island from Sep. 13th and we will do our best to keep the UNESCO triple crown title”, Also the Governor Oh Young Hun declared that he would well preserve Jeju, a UNESCO natural environment.
However, unfortunately, as the Government and Jeju Provincial Government have revealed, rather than preserving the natural environment of UNESCO World Geopark and World Natural Heritage, public projects and disorderly development have resulted in the cutting of the beautiful Bijarim Forest-ro trees and cherry trees in Jeseong Village, the Animal Theme Park in Seonheul, and the Second Airport Construction Plan in Seongsan. UNESCO Global Geoparks, World Biosphere Reserves, and World Natural Heritage Sites in Jeju are threatened by the Seogwipo City Bypass Road, which damages the living environment of residents, such as the construction of a naval base road that damages the Gangjeongcheon Stream.
The Yongcheon Cave Geopark in Woljeong-ri and the World Natural Heritage District are all government facilities, and the natural environment has been destroyed and neglected for a long time. Manure treatment facilities, accommodations at the Korea Energy Technology Institute, windmills, roads, parking lots, and electric charging stations are clearly damaging and polluting the value of geoparks and World Heritage sites.
The UNESCO Geopark and World Heritage site are in serious danger because the disposal capacity of the excrement facility has been increased several times without reporting to UNESCO. The lava caves of the Geomunoreum system lead to Manjang cave and Yongcheon cave and extend to the coast, and the flow of lava can be seen from the outside of the cave. This is not working at all. Jeju Geopark is actually abnormal.
Even if the Jeju Geopark, Biosphere Reserve, and World Natural Heritage site are damaged and polluted due to disorderly development and public works in all areas of Jeju Island, it has never been reported to UNESCO and monitored. haven't received. The Jeju Island Province, the Cultural Heritage Administration, and the Korean Commission for UNESCO implemented their policies of ignoring the value of nature and prioritizing public works in Jeju Island, causing damage not only to the damage and pollution of the Global Geopark and World Natural Heritage, but also to the people's right to live and livelihood. is in a Province. Although the participation of residents in the management of global geoparks and World Heritage sites and policy making and implementation should be guaranteed, it has not been achieved at all.
In the purpose of public tasks, the beautiful natural environment has been damaged, reducing biodiversity, reducing animal habitats, and infringing on the rights of residents to live environment. In addition to the Yongcheon Cave area in Woljeong-ri, which is a representative area of the World Geopark and World Natural Heritage, the huge-scale Seongsan Second Airport near Seongsan Ilchulbong and Gotjawal, and the establishment of an animal theme park, is the decision to be made between the UNESCO Global Geopark and the world. It is an administration that is clearly opposed to the values of property..
This is a direct violation of the UNESCO Convention by Jeju Island, the Cultural Heritage Administration, and the Korean Commission for UNESCO. Moreover, Jeju UNESCO's lack of management and conservation of the natural environment, insufficient management system, inappropriate policies, exclusion of residents' participation, ignoring residents' opinions, and counter-cultural administration that prioritizes the administration of public projects over the natural environment directly violates the operating guidelines of the UNESCO Convention.
Therefore, the UNESCO Jeju Geopark Investigators should not only focus on the reports of Jeju Island Province, the Ministry of Environment, and the Korean Commission for UNESCO, but listen to the opinions of local residents and stakeholders who are raising issues about the actual situation of the Geopark.
The investigators of The UNESCO Global Geopark must clearly recognize how disorderly development and public works carried out by Jeju Provincial Government are damaging the natural environment and destroying the lives of local people.
[Key Contexts and Desired requirements]
1. Do monitor the local areas involved in the destruction of the UNESCO Global Geopark
2. Conduct interviews with residents and key stakeholders in areas of Geoparks affected negatively
3. Get a report from the Jeju provincial government on the following projects that greatly damage the Jeju Geopark and Biosphere Reserve.
- Seongsan 2nd Airport construction plan
- Bijarim-ro expansion construction destroying biodiversity and animal habitat
- Damage to the natural environment of Gangjeongcheon for the expansion of the naval base road
- Jeju Animal Theme Park at Seonheul 2-ri destroying Gotjawal
- Cutting 12 Someiyoshino cherry trees in Jeseong Village, the heart of displaced people
- Seogwipo bypass road project that infringes on the living environment rights of local residents
- Expansion of Jeju Eastern Sewage Treatment Plant: Serious damage to Yongcheon Cave
4. Get a report from the Jeju provincial government about the lava flow, a geological park at the foot of Yongcheon Cave in Woljeong-ri, and the situation in which education and nature tourism are not provided in the Tumulus area.
5. Get a report on the location of the downstream Yongcheon Cave and Namjimi Cave near the Eastern Sewage Treatment Plant in Jeju.
6. Monitor the Korea Energy Technology Institute guesthouse, windmill, iron tower, electric charging station, Jeju Batdam Theme Park and Jeju Batdam Theme Park Information Center, and Jeju Eastern Sewage Treatment Plant in Yongcheon Cave Geopark.
7. Monitor the operation and expansion of the Jeju Eastern Sewage Treatment Plant, which is damaging the living ground, threatening the right to live, and damaging and polluting the Yongcheon Cave Geopark.
8. Ensure that villagers are included in the membership of organizations for the management of geoparks and World Natural Heritage and for policy making and implementation.
9. Investigate a lawsuit against the injunction against construction obstruction to expand the treatment capacity of the excrement treatment facility while threatening the good people who have been working to protect and preserve the Woljeong-ri Geopark and World Heritage Site.
Jeju Community against development thoughtless for the environment
UNESCO World Natural Heritage Jeju World Network
JejuHawaii sisterhood relationship, Korean Association of Hawaiian Love Jeju
Republic of Korea Veterans' Hawaii Commission
Jeju Hometown Alumni in Hawaii
People who love Woljeongri (Wol-Sa-Sa)
Woljeongri Hometown Alumni in Nation
Yongcheon Cave Downstream National Signature Movement Committee for UNESCO listing
Woljeongri Emergency Response Committee for Opposition to Jeju Eastern Sewage Treatment Plant